WHAT is E3
E3 provides food processors with customized, hands-on assessments of production processes to reduce energy consumption, minimize their carbon footprint, prevent pollution, increase productivity, and drive innovation. As a result, E3:
- Helps foster an efficient high-performance green workforce
- Reduces environmental impacts while gaining a competitive advantage
- Reduce costs
- Lower regulatory non-compliance risk
- Improve employee morale and commitment
- Promotes sustainable manufacturing and growth through process improvement and innovative technology
Why should your food processing/manufacturing site be concerned about reducing energy and environmental wastes in your system?
Environmental wastes do not add value to the customer. Environmental wastes can also directly affect production flow, time, quality, and cost—making them ripe targets for Lean Manufacturing initiatives. In many cases the costs, to the enterprise and society in general, associated with pollution and wasted energy, water, and raw materials can be very significant. E3 helps your business improve overall competitiveness, profitability and growth in a triple bottom line way by reducing:
- Energy, water, or raw materials consumed in excess of what is needed to meet customer needs and add no value to the customer.
- Pollutants and material wastes released into the environment, such as air emissions, wastewater discharges, hazardous wastes and solid wastes (trash or discarded scrap).
- Hazardous substances that adversely affect human health or the environment during their use in production or their presence in products.
Clients will receive 3 days of onsite consulting plus a written report highlighting the findings and recommendations of our team related to:
- Lean Manufacturing principles overview and presentation of Lean’s relationship to pursuing environmental opportunities through the Value Stream Mapping process.
- A Written Assessment of the current state, identifying waste in areas of Energy, Water, Wastewater, Process and Supply Chain. Actionable steps to eliminate and prevent waste, increase productivity and reduce costs.
Federal Subsidy: $10,000
A Federal Grant Subsidy for food processors is available through Impact Washington*.
Impact Washington will provide an onsite evaluation by their process improvement team to identify opportunities to remove waste, save energy and therefore cost from processes related to energy and water.
Net client investment $3,000
Benefits and Payoff to Expect
- Cost Savings – Use lean and green methods to reduce environmental wastes while meeting other goals such as improving product quality, reducing costs, and enhancing customer responsiveness.
- Energy utilization reduction
- Water Utilization reduction
- Waste Water reduction
- Triple Bottom Line Results – A phrase describing a company’s improved top line financial performance over the long term due to sustainable business practices, including less capital investment and increased revenues. The triple bottom line refers to environmental, social, and economic sustainability.
*Impact Washington is a not for profit consulting firm affiliated with the National Institute of Standards and Technology MEP whose mission is to help strengthen manufacturing in the state of Washington.