Economic Development Specialist, Make it in Washington Project Manager, Washington Workforce Training & Education Coordination Board
- Serving as the economic development and Make it in Washington Grant specialist for the Washington state Workforce Board. Projects have included: Industry Skill Panels, the President’s Strategic Fund, Life Long Learning Pilot, and as an auditor for both VA and Private Career School programs. He works across the state supporting the coordination of the workforce and economic development systems at the regional level.
2002 – 2004
- Consultant providing transportation and proof of concept for a variety of projects under the direction of the Skagit Council of Governments.
1983 – 2002
- President/CEO of the Bellingham Whatcom Chamber of Commerce & Industry serving the business community throughout Whatcom County. The Chamber offered services to their members as well as offering a Business Service Center for startups, and as the producer of the County’s major festival and special events.
- Mike’s professional background is wide ranging from teaching elementary school; operating a SCUBA/Snorkel dive charter business on St. Croix, US Virgin Islands; and chairing the Mt. Baker School District Board.
- He is a graduate of the University of Delaware with a Degree in American Studies, and West Chester State College with a Pennsylvania State Certification in Elementary Education.
- Mike is certified as a Marano Fellow by the Aspen Institute.
- He the #2 inductee into the Washington Festivals and Events Association’s Hall of Fame.
Community and other activities and experience