Lean Transformation and TWI Training Result in Higher Efficiency for Itek
Itek is a premier manufacturer of high-quality, assembled in America solar modules based in Bellingham, WA.
The objective of the training program was to create a culture of continuous improvement and Lean practices, as well as enhancing supervisor and production skills to facilitate the growth Itek Energy is experiencing. The training focused on sustained growth and improvement practices, high quality and customer service. The workforce required skills training in the following areas:
- Actual solar panel manufacturing processes, (Training Within Industry [TWI]).
- Supervisory skill training to ensure existing and newly appointed supervisors have the needed skills and to aid in the growth of the company and successfully onboard new employees.
- Continuous Improvement, Quality Assurance and Lean Enterprise.
Lean Manufacturing and Toyota Kata training. The training focused on sustained growth and improvement practices, high quality and customer service.
Overal improvement of employee morale was realized as a result of the training along with the following:
- Significant reduction in the failure rates of finished products
- More efficiency in producing products
- More organized, efficient workplace
- Rework of nonconforming solar panels has dropped an astounding 80% due to the problem solving
- These improvements will be transferred over to the new expanded facility on the Bellingham waterfront that will allow Itek Energy to triple their production rates in the future over their current facility